The hottest team in baseball is up to No. 2 in the rankings (and running away with their division) and there’s some doubt creeping in on a perennial favorite. A look at the trends in this week’s Power Rankings:
2. Milwaukee Brewers (+1): Zack Greinke is 10-0 at home in Miller Park. What a fantastic trade that turned out to be for Milwaukee.
7. Arizona Diamondbacks (+2): Just when you begin to doubt them, they pull you back in. And who would have thought Ian Kennedy was a potential 20-game winner in 2011?
27. Baltimore Orioles (+2): Came one Sunday night game from sweeping the Yankees. Would have been a bright spot in another very dark season in Baltimore.
4. New York Yankees (-2): Yankees fans, you have to be worried about the rotation. That engine is leaking oil, big time, heading into September. But they’ll still be in the playoffs, of course.
15. Cleveland Indians (-1): Getting Jim Thome was a great move, even if won’t make much of a dent in the AL Central race. Still love the move for posterity. It just feels right.
16. Toronto Blue Jays (-2): Endured a 1-5 homestand against the lowly Royals and the third-place Rays.
* * *
Fantasy update: Don’t totally switch gears to your football league quite yet: Contributing writer Kevin Kleps counts down the “What Are You Waiting For” All-Stars in this week’s Waiver-Wire column, and provides lots of start-sit advice for this pivotal week in the Weekly Planner column.