WASHINGTON — Join us as we spend the day taking direct aim at the entrenched foreign establishment, which for too long has promoted war over diplomacy at the behest of a powerful military industrial complex, and American primacy abroad over the interests of its citizens at home.
In our annual conference today in D.C., we present an impressive list of speakers to discuss “Regime Change: How to Replace the Beltway Blob with the Foreign Policy Americans Want.” We’ll get at how think tanks, lobbyists, industry and academia work together to sustain the interventionist status quo, and how we can take advantage of new “America First” dynamics in Washington to try and change it.
Check out the live feed and full schedule of panels below.
9-9:45 a.m. The State of U.S. Foreign Policy in Trump’s Washington
- Q & A with Andrew Bacevich, TAC Writer-at-Large and president of The Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft and James Antle III, Editor, TAC.
9:45-10:45 a.m. Realism Versus Washington power: Why the Blob Persists
- Damon Linker — Senior Correspondent, The Week
- Michael Desch — Professor of International Relations, University of Notre Dame
- Monica Duffy Toft — Director of the Center for Strategic Studies, Tufts University.
- Andrew Bacevich — TAC Writer-at-Large and Co-founder of The Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft
- Moderator: Will Ruger — Vice President for Policy and Research, Charles Koch Institute
11 a.m.-12:00 pm. Throwing a Monkey Wrench into the Military Industrial Complex
- Heather Brandon-Smith–Legislative Director, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Emma Ashford–Defense and Foreign Policy research fellow, Cato Institute
- Trevor Thrall–Associate professor, Schar School of Policy and Government, George Mason University
- Peter Van Buren–Author, We Meant Well: How I Helped Lose the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People
- Moderator: Reid Smith–Manager, Foreign Policy Initiatives, Charles Koch Institute
12:15-1:00 p.m. Conservative Media Changing the Foreign Policy Consensus
- Matt Peterson–Editor, The American Mind
- Will Chamberlain–Publisher, Human Events
- Daniel McCarthy–Editor, Modern Age
- Moderator: James Antle III– Editor, The American Conservative
1:00-2:00 p.m. Think Tank Town: The Swampy Ecosystem Supporting Status Quo
- Ben Freeman–Director, Foreign Influence Transparency Initiative, Center for International Policy
- Carrie Levine–Senior Reporter, Center for Public Integrity
- Stephen Wertheim–Co-founder, Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft
- Chris Preble–Vice President of Defense and Foreign Policy Studies, Cato Institute
- Moderator: Kelley Beaucar Vlahos, Executive Editor, The American Conservative
2:00-3:00 p.m. How to End the Failed American Era in the Middle East
- Gil Barndollar–Center for the Study of Statecraft, Catholic University
- (Ret.) Col. Doug Macgregor–Author, Margin of Victory: Five Battles that Changed the Face of Modern War
- Mark Perry–Author, The Pentagon’s Wars: The Military’s Undeclared Wars Against America’s Presidents.
- Moderator: Curt Mills–Senior Writer at The American Conservative